Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Happy Birthday to Isabella Grace Lara

That is my baby girl's announcement up there and yes you read it right, 9 pounds, 3 ounces! I myself don't know how I did it, but first things first..........

We were supposed to be at the hospital at 6:30 A.M. but if you know me, you know I am late for everything, and this was no exception. First of all, I was terrified so I got NO SLEEP at all the night before, and I couldn't leave the kids, it was tough, but I guess I had to get over it right? Finally got there at 7:30 A.M between one thing and the other.


I was basically asking for an epidural as I walked in the room. I went drug free with Tyler for about 14 hours out of the 31...Gen came in 4 hours and I had JUST had the epidural when it was time to push so I basically did it without a thing (the most painful thing ever!!)..so long story short, this time I was ready and begging!


After a quick check I was about 3 centimeters already, promising I thought. At about 8:30 they started the Pitocin, about 10:00 epidural, about 10:15 broke my water, about 10:38 time to push. 10:46 Happy Birthday Bella!! Not before some scary stuff though.


When the doctor got there for my first push I heard him say to the nurse that the shoulders would be a problem. WHAT? Not a cool thing to hear AT ALL by this time, but she had to come out some how. He wasn't kidding. I was pushing for the Dr. and nurse, and about 3 pushes into it he called for massive help....all of a sudden lights were shining everywhere and no kidding, there were at least 13 medical people in there, he was yelling at them, John had tears in his eyes, and I was so confused, I had no clue. I asked once what was happening, John said, "just push baby" and the doctor screamed at me and said, " this is no time to talk save it all and push for me now, push now!" I did, but nothing, her head was out, but I couldn't get the rest of her out. Nurses were pushing on me, and finally with that last push, and their help, (they were literally putting all of their weight on my belly to get her to come down--ouch, took my breath away) I thought my head would explode, when suddenly I heard the most beautiful sound ever!! She was here! I still didn't know what went on at that point, but I didn't care. Not about me , not about anything , just her! John was with me for a second, but he says I sent him to go be with the baby. I don't recall that, but he was impressed with that action of mine, I think it was just me instinctively wanting to protect her and make sure she was OK.


I looked over and couldn't believe she came out of me. Yeah I have done this before, so what, its not normal its amazing, its incredible, its different each time. She had these prominent eye brows and she was sooo BIG! She looked like a little sumo wrestler, and I think I voiced that, oops. No wonder I thought she would come out any second! In all her grandness she is still so small and vulnerable. Really 9 small pounds and 3 tiny ounces after all. Tiny hands with long slender fingers, small totally edible feet, the cutest nose ever, rosy cheeks and her cry was just the sweetest of all.

Then the doctor was working on me, there was talk that I was losing too much blood. I was kind of beginning to lose it, I was so out of it. Bella crying, John taking pics, and me just dazed! The doctor told me that when he was removing the placenta the cord broke and therefore he literally had to put his hand in my uterus to make sure that he got it all out. So, to prevent infection, I had to have antibiotics via IV for the rest of my stay, along with more Pitocin. That meant more contractions, so that my uterus can expel all that it had to, which meant more blood. The nurses just kept an eye on the heavy bleeding and luckily it held up eventually.

After he got me all situated he came and told me what happened during the delivery. It is something called shoulder dysplacia (sp?). Basically she was too big to fit through my small pelvis. There are a number of maneuvers he can use to get the baby out when this is present, with me he used all of them and was about 5 seconds from him taking extreme measures to get her out he explained. The next maneuver would be to break her clavicle, this would sever a nerve which would leave her arm misplaced for life, like with her elbow facing forward in stead of back, then he would break the other one if she was still "stuck" so to speak. Next step would be to get me an emergency C-section, but he said that with her head out, and not breathing, her chances of survival would be decreased dramatically and still no guarantee he could get her out that way. Last thing would have been to break my pelvis. After all that trauma, I thank God he was my doctor and that he got her out safely, even at the very last second, with my "last chance" push!!

My diva apparently wanted to make a grand entrance, and boy did she ever. After being with her these months, and getting to know her I think maybe I need to get ready for this type of behavior from her. She is pretty laid back, a GREAT baby, but I think she will use it to her advantage, and definately do things on her own time from here on out!

The rest of my stay went well. No infection, bleeding was normal, but best of all Isabella Grace Lara was perfect in every way. I distinctively remember the first time I held each of my babies, same with her. She was so delicious, she felt so good. The smell of promise and hope she possessed made me cry. Her perfect everything showed me once again how good God is to me. The fingerprints of Jesus we were truly all over her, nothing that awesome can come from anywhere else. I didn't want to let go. I thought of the great times ahead and watching her grow. I thank Him for entrusting His precious baby girl to us, my baby girl now, if even for a season. Who am I kidding, she will always be my baby girl.

0 comments: