Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sounds Like Christmas

I am finally feeling a lot more like Christmas. It snuck up on me this year. Don't get me wrong I LOVE Christmas, but I have so much to do that Christmas sadly became another thing on my list. Actually a lot more on my list.....shopping, tree, get lights, decorate mantle, stair case, kids trees in their rooms, cards, on and on the list goes. Pretty exhausting with three kids! To top it all off it was Thanksgiving then Bella's 1st Birthday, feeling like I am running a marathon of sorts.

Oh yeah, and what is the deal with Christmas merchandise being displayed in stores like by Halloween? If I am going to Target to shop for Thanksgiving, then I expect at least an aisle of the stuff! Not an end cap of some fake pumpkins, and three aisles of very premature Christmas decorations! I mean really, can I just savor the Fall? Every year this is becoming the case earlier and earlier and it is frustrating me! One of my pet peeves. Don't even get me started on radio stations playing non stop carols starting in November either! Bah Humbug!

I was switching the stations on the radio to normal music until about last week! I was getting so depressed because my heart shouldn't be heavy this time of year. It is not me. Then everything mentally started to turn around for me. Meagan and I are making gingerbread houses with the kids on Sunday, we have a Christmas party on Saturday, we are shopping on Saturday as well, the house is almost all decked out, and the kids are overtly excited. It's FINALLY CHRISTMAS for me.

I think part of what moved my spirit in the right direction is my children. Christmas through the eyes of a child can move me to tears. How wonderful for them and for us to be able to share in their wonder and excitement. The other part is an awesome Christmas album! It is titles This Warm December, A Brushfire Holiday Volume I, it is a compilation of new and old songs by some great artists, (among them, Jack Johnson, G Love, and Matt Costa) by BrushFire Records. Check out the link for a sample of all of the songs. On that link you can also upload a photo and have some fun. Here are the tracks:

  • Someday at Christmas, Jack Johnson (awesome song!!)
  • Santa Clause is Coming to Town, Mason Jennings
  • All I Want for Christmas, Matt Costa
  • No Christmas for Me, Zee Avi (I love this song and her unique voice, going to check more of her out!!)
  • Stuck at the Airport, Money Mark (Gen's personal favorite!)
  • Christmas Baby, G Love (on my top 5 list for sure!)
  • Christmas Time, ALO (this one is touching to me)
  • The Man in the Santa Suit, Neil Halstead
  • Christmas, Rogue Wave (very moving!!)
  • Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Jack Johnson (this version has an extra verse in it, we all love this one at home!)
  • Silent Night, Zach Gill (a sweet version of a beautiful classic)

At Christmas time as of late, I get all emotional about all our men and women in the armed forces, so this one is for them. I feel very selfish stressing about Christmas "things" instead of worrying about what Christmas is really about! This song helps me keep it in perspective! It is the first track above.

Someday at Christmas by Jack Johnson

Someday at Christmas, men wont be boys

Playing with bombs like boys play with toys

One warm December, our hearts will see

A world where men are free

And some day at Christmas, they'll be no wars

When we have learned what Christmas is for

When we have found out what life is really worth

Then there will be peace on Earth

Someday all of our dreams will come to be

Someday in a world where men are free

Maybe not in time for you or for me

But someday at Christmas time

And someday at Christmas, they'll be no tears

All men are equal and no men have fears

In one shining moment my heart ran away

From the world that we live in today

And someday at Christmas, men will not fail

Take all because your love will prevail

Someday in a new world that we can only start

With hope in every heart

And someday all of our dreams will come to be

Someday in a world where men are free

Maybe not in time for you or for me

But someday at Christmas time

There will be peace on Earth,

I said there will be peace on Earth

I have to include one that is not on this album, but it is mine and John's all time favorite Christmas song.

Christmas Song, by Dave Matthews

She was his girl, he was her boyfriend

Shed be his wife, and make him her husband.

A surprise on the way any day any day

One healthy little giggling, dribbling baby boy

The wise men came, three made their way

To shower him with love while he lay in the hay

Shower him with love, love, love

Love,love,love

Love,love was all around.

Not very much of his childhood was known

Kept his mother Mary worried always out on his own

He met another Mary, who for a reasonable fee,

Less than reputable was known to be

His heart was full of love, love, love

Love, love, love

Love, love was all around.

When jesus christ nailed to his tree

Said oh daddy-o, I can see how it all soon will be

I came to shed a little light on this darkening sea

Instead I fear I've spilled the blood of my children all around

The blood of my children all around

The blood of my childrens all around.

So I'm told, so the story goes

The people he knew were less than golden-hearted

Gamblers and robbers,

Drinkers and jokers, all soul searchers

Like you and me, like you and me

Rumors insisted that he soon would be

For his deveations taken into custody

By the authorities, less informed than he

Drinkers and jokers, all soul searchers

Searching for love, love, love

Love, love, love

Love, love was all around.

Preparations were made for a celebration day

He said eat this bread but think of it as me

Drink this wine and dream it will be the blood of our children all around

The blood of our children all around

The blood of our children all around

Father up above

Why in all this hatred do you fill me up with love, love, love

Love, love, love

Love, love is all around

Father up above

Why in all this hatred do you fill me up with love, fill me love, love, yeah

Love, love, love

Love, love, and the blood of our children all around.

The kids favorite songs include Rudolph, Frosty, and I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas!

What are your favorite Christmas songs?

*Special thanks to Nathan for being our music library!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am soooo excited to make the gingerbread houses.....so kind of corny but my alltime favorite Christmas song is All I Want For Christmas Is You! I know pitiful. But I also like Santa Baby, Baby it's cold outside, and many others. The kids at school are into jingle bells, rudolph, it's the most wonderful time of the year, and many others!

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

i'm with meagan...my all time favorite is all i want for christmas is you lol my others are merry christmas baby, my grown up christmas list, last christmas, and mary did you know?

the music is one of my most favorite parts of this season! have a great time making gingerbread houses. i haven't done that in a very long time and it was one of my favorite things to do! post some pictures!!

love ya,
rachel