Friday, September 12, 2008

Remembering 9/11

It is so hard to wrap my mind around how fast the years are flying. I remember this terrifying day like it was yesterday. Like many people, I remember where I was, what I was doing, what I was wearing, how I felt--the panic, devastation, fear, anger,unbelief, and overwhelming sadness. It is a day no American will ever forget for years and years to come. My heart goes out to all the families that were affected by this fateful day. The children, the mothers, the fathers, husbands and wives, all robbed of a full life. This day has to be especially tough for them and I cannot bare to even attempt to feel the way that they must feel. What an unimaginable tragedy.

Coincidentally, I finally picked up the book Lets Roll, Ordinary People, Extraordinary Courage., to read, I got it through work months ago, but never have the time to read it. I figured it cant be a better day to try and start. This book was written by Lisa Beamer, the wife of 9/11 hero Todd Beamer. He was on flight 93 on the way to San Francisco, but never made it. It is the story of Todd's life and the brave passengers & crew of flight 93. Lisa's style is very genuine and candid, I can almost live the experience through her words and it is heart wrenching. Todd left behind two young sons, a pregnant wife, and a daughter that he never got the chance to see born, hold, or hug. The book was on the New York Time's Best Seller List and the winner of the 2003 ECPA Gold Medallion Award and I cant wait to get through it.

I haven't read a book in years, other than parenting, pregnancy or breast feeding books, or Goodnight Moon, lol, and I do miss it. After this one I am going to read a book a friend let me borrow, it is titled The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. I am excited to read this one. John and I will be married 10 years this November, and I would love to share many more with him, so whatever helps!
Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read the five languages of love and it's great! Not only for John but it's about your children's language of love and each are soo very different I'm sure! Good luck with the reading!

Rachel said...

Let's Roll is a great book. I'm so glad I ended up reading it. You'll cry so make sure to have tissues handy.