Tuesday, May 20, 2008

No More Naps For Me

I already had it engraved in my head that I wouldn't get any sleep for at least the next 5 years. After that I thought I would have about another 6 or so years where I can get some decent volume of sleep in before the kids hit the teenage years, then back to no sleep. This is my reality , of that I am aware, but naps are out of the question now too.

Saturday I had the migraine from hell, it was a beautiful day but just a mere glimpse of the sunlight was agonizing. John was off with a client and so the kids and I were in my bed. Watching TV, and they seemed to be about to doze off with me. I eventually fell asleep. I woke up 20 minutes later with only Bella by my side! They took off on me, I figured they were in the play room, but I was wrong.

I ran downstairs and no sight of the kids. Finally I see them in the backyard. (thankfully they decided on the back yard which is fenced in, rather than front with the cars and such!) There they stood, my first sight was Gen with her hair uncombed, and her skinny tiny legs in her sneakers which were on backwards. Then there was Tyler, with his T Shirt on inside out. I thought for a moment how cute they were to have dressed themselves and was just relieved they were OK. I felt overwhelmingly guilty for falling asleep. Little sneaky brats! Then I take a closer look.........Tyler was holding Max!

Let me back track a moment......We went to the reptile show last month and got a baby chameleon. The kids are begging for a dog and we all want one but right now we do not have the time to give a dog the attention they so deserve so we opted for a low maintenance pet. The little dude is pretty cute actually. Tyler named him Maxameleon. Nope not Maximilian, Maxameleon, to sound like chameleon.

Anyway, they took him out of the cage and took him outside! I raise my voice and Tyler quickly pleads his case, "but Mommy I am being careful". And he most certainly was, he took him out of the cage and placed him in a plastic tub for the walk outside so that he wouldn't have a fall. I understand Tyler but he can run away I explain. "Mommy, Max needs some sunshine and he loves to be in a real environment." Wow. All I could muster up was, OK, well put him back and lets get inside. Left me speechless.

This is one of those stories that are so cute in hindsight and are great memories but in the moment, it wasn't so amusing. Oh yeah, and want to know what they used to pry him out of the cage since they couldn't reach Max? A lollipop shaped like a penis that was a gag gift.......aww the joys of parenting, absolutely no more naps for me.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hysterical!!!