Friday, June 12, 2009

French Fries?

Last night I made the kids some Not-So-French-Fries. For anyone looking for something creative and cute to make for the kids, this is a winner.

I told Ty and Gen I was going to make them a special desert and they were very excited because this is not an everyday thing at home. When I was done I told them that I messed up the desert, and that I had made them some fries instead. They were so sad! I gave them their plates and they were saying "you made us fries?" with this heart broken look on their faces. Gen was pretty comical as she dipped her "fry" in her "ketchup" and realized that it wasn't exactly fries and ketchup. "Ttttyyyler this is not ketchup!" So cute!

So easy too! Just buy a frozen pound cake and let it thaw (we got a reduced sugar one and it was just fine), slice it up to look like fries, removing the dark brown edges. Then put them on a cookie sheet and into broiler on low for a little while, until a golden color. (keep a close eye because it happens pretty quickly). Flip them over and do the same on the other side. Remove when they look like fries! Mix red food coloring into vanilla icing, and just set the fries and ketchup on a plate and voila. I found the recipe on line and they served it in an actual french fry basket, and it looked even better, but we didn't have those on hand, and I think the little plates worked just fine.

This was an easy treat for a work day when I felt like doing something different and special for them. It is the little things that count, I can see it in their eyes when I do little things like that, that it just means something to them. This was too cute to not post! Next time they have friends over I am going to make these again, they will be so proud! This was surely a young child pleaser. Let me know if any of you try them on your little people.

Oh, and no icing for Bella, but she loved the pound cake, I was glad she was able to join in on the munching fest!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

soooo cute!! i want some ;) lol

Anonymous said...

What a creative idea! I love it!

Mai said...

Have you ever tried Octopus HOtdogs?? Those are great and fun. :)