Monday, May 21, 2007

In The Blink Of An Eye

Ever hold the weight of the world on your shoulders and can't sleep for nights and nights and wake up so tired that your whole body aches without any relief? Yeah, terrible feeling, that's me these days. OK, so not so much the weight of the "world" I am not that brave, but just the weight of life, and my family , kids and friends is enough to do me in for some long lonely nights caught up in my own mind all by myself. That is probably the worst trap ever.

I was lucky enough to meet a wonderful client the other day though, and without even knowing it, she helps me get to sleep sometimes and put things in perspective. She is a mother of 2 grown women now and a grandmother to one little boy. She raised them on her own, a single mom. That right there tells you she is brave, brilliant, kind, caring, outspoken and gutsy right. She was truly awesome, and she doesn't even know it. She shared with me many stories, spoke to me about women rights, and enlightened me with the story of her daughters life.

When her daughter, Rachel, was only 29 years old (real awakening since that is my age), she woke up one day and her vision was blurred and she was blinking and nothing. So her husband took her to the emergency room. She got worse the next few days, she couldn't see, move or talk. They thought she would die. Doctors soon realized there was brain damage but they didn't know why. She slowly got a little better and was in the hospital for two months. It was later determined that she had MS.

The attack that almost killed her before they diagnosed her with MS left her with aphasia. This is a condition caused by brain damage that doesn't allow her to understand the entire world around her, and leaves her unable to find the words to express her self. Her entire world was simply changed forever. Nothing as it used to be.

With the love of a family a wonderful husband and son (I think he was only almost 1 when she had the attack and now is about 9 years old, I heard that this little boy, BEN, is completely in love with his mom, and she is his hero!), she is now able to drive and communicate a little better. Her hubby got them a one story home so she can get around, and now she even does some volunteer work. What an awesome story.

So if you are like me, lying there, trapped in your mind, pray it out. In the midst of all my chaos I am so thankful for EACH and every day. It is all such a blessing. The sun will still shine in the morning, life goes on all around us. Babies are born, flowers bloom, and butterflies come and go, try to take it in. My kids are becoming little people right before my eyes. They are my biggest love. As I lie there awake, sometimes with tears in my eyes, I am grateful for all that is around me and to be allowed the privilege of one more day. I go to sleep anxious to wake up the next morning and smell my babies and give them a big kiss as we start another beautiful day.

Nights can be an enemy if you let them. Life is a whirlwind that we have to try to keep close to our hearts in clear perspective. Take it in, as it can be taken away from us in literally just the blink of an eye! Life isn't a right, but really a God given privilege in my mind.

Lets live life to the fullest like hero's such as Rachel Polsky. You can read more about her awesome story here:
http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/news/Jan2002/WomanwMS10.html

With love,
Veronica

0 comments: